LJS provides a cashless catering service to help students avoid carrying cash to school to buy their lunch. Their lunch money fund is either topped up online using School Gateway or they can deposit their money in one of our cash loaders at the start of the day. This mitigates the risk of them carrying cash around school. The lunch money fund is then accessible to the student at point of sale using biometric identification (subject to finger enrolment consent). Please be aware that the saved ‘finger data’ is just a unique long number created by an algorithm which reads between 50 and 130 points on the finger. It is not possible to rebuild a forensic style ‘fingerprint’ from the data we collect. The biometric technology is simply a means used to identity each individual person within the system and it ensures that only your child can access their account balance hence keeping it safe.
This system has improved our school meal provision, this enables a more efficient and improved quality of service. The system incorporates the latest technology and there are several clear benefits for students and parents:
- A more efficient service which reduces queuing time and provides more options.
- Reduced risks of handling cash.
- Anonymity for FSM entitled students which removes any possible stigma.
- Help students develop life skills in managing their own lunch money balance.
- Encourage a balanced diet by allowing students to make more independent choices.
- A convenient way for parents to pay for school meals online - minimum top up has been reduced from £15 to £5.
- Reporting to parents about what their child is consuming each day.
Our lunch menu changes on a 4 weekly rolling basis.
Click here for the menu
FREE SCHOOL MEALS
If you or your child are in receipt of certain benefits, you are entitled to a free school meal. For the school to be able to provide this meal, you must apply to see if you are eligible.
To provide a more convenient process, we have moved to an online application system. This system is more convenient, is available any time and you can complete the applications yourself in a few simple steps.
The benefits you will receive are:
- A free school meal for your child, which is good for their health and could help their learning.
- Savings for you, worth over £350 a year.
- Extra money for the school through Pupil Premium, worth at least £900 a year.
By registering your child for Free School Meals Laurence Jackson receives the extra money even if you do not want your child to take up the free meal. Your application is confidential and it will not affect any other benefits you are claiming.
Your child will be eligible for Free School Meals if you get any of these benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) that does not exceed £16,190
- Working Tax Credit 'run-on' - the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
If you want further information or help in completing the online application, the school office staff will be happy to assist you.