To our great disappointment, we have to announce that this eagerly awaited event has been postponed until such times that our potentially fantastic leisure centre is in a suitable condition to be proudly re-opened and re-branded as the ‘Laurence Jackson Sports Village – Home of Champions’.
Despite assurances, there are several unfinished areas which raise concern and call into question our decision to mark the intended celebration at this stage:-
- Unfinished exterior surfaces and peeling paintwork.
- Unfinished roofing – scaffolding remains in place.
- Boarded up window.
- Sports hall floor – hundreds of minor repairs to damage caused by heavy machinery but overall impression very poor and without suitably finished surface.
- Asbestos – despite persistent requests, GT have failed to supply relevant documentation to meet their legal responsibility.
- Soft landscaping incomplete and looks untouched/unloved.
- Squash court and climbing wall remain unusable with future works planned for week commencing 17 April.
- There remain 25 outstanding defects in the GLC, including one which led to personal injury for a member of staff on Wednesday 22 March.
- Demolition continues adjacent to the GLC which does not create the required environment for a major re-launch.
- Tennis courts and BMX track are part of phase 3 and consequently are yet to be completed/available.
LJS staff have spent over 3 months in the design and preparation of what should have been an iconic evening but with only 6 working days to go we feel that the GLC will not be ready and therefore it is prudent to pull the plug and re-arrange for later in 2017. Hopefully by then, all the aforementioned work will be completed to a satisfactory standard.
There will undoubtedly be major disappointment within the community but we would rather take this tough decision now than run the risk of a complete anti-climax on the night when cutting a ribbon on a half finished building looks somewhat underwhelming.
We will ensure that all those intending to join the celebration are informed well in advance and invited to the re-arranged event once a suitable time line has been implemented.